Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Je suis francais

Frenching: the art of pretending you are French to get special treatment, free food, and avoid conversations you don’t want to have

Have you ever noticed that people treat foreigners better? Yup, it’s true. It all started in a little place called Southern California in a town called Huntington. Myself and 2 friends go restaurant, one of my friends and I are both fluent in French. So naturally my French speaking friend decides to ask the girl at the register if they give discounts for foreigners because their friend (me) was French. She said no but that didn’t stop us from pretending, I just ordered everything I wanted through him.

Before we left I decided there are times when you just have to leave a good impression so I walked up to the girl at the register and said, “Bonjour! You very beautiful girl,” smiling kind of awkwardly, she got very excited and then we left. Wait a second…what just happened? If any American said this to her he’d be considered creepy or weird but since I was French I can walk up to a girl I don’t know and tell her she’s beautiful and not only get away with it get points for it? Next we saw a couple of cute girls walking so we decided we’d see how the street approach worked all w/ the French accent of course, “Bonjour..euu..I meen hi.” “Oh hey!! Are you guys French??!” “Oui..I meen yes. Where you from?” “Oh us, we’re from long beach.” “Long beach? You know snoop dog is he your friend” The girls start laughing, “No we don’t know him.” We decided to end it and walk into a store (American AParal) “Au revoir!” “Oh see you boys.” They laugh at jokes that aren’t funny when I am a foreigner..this is nice.

American Apparal was fun too. Since they thought we were French they weren’t afraid to talk about us in front of us, but for some reason 3 average looking guys all of the sudden became ‘hot’ according to the American Apparel girls. How did we become “hot” so fast? Easy, we became foreigners, French foreigners.

Easy laughs, you can say whatever you want, people are very friendly all of the time-once you start frenching being American is never quite the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment